The Canadian Agricultural Partnership (CAP) Ontario has declared another round of funding will come through the CAP Ontario Producers Stream to provide up to $10.21 million more in funding. This next intake will open on November 15, 2021.
“We are committed to helping farmers with strategic on-farm investments that improve their bottom line and generate sustainable economic growth. These cost-shared investments will not only build a stronger, more innovative agriculture sector in Ontario but support the prosperity of rural communities across the province.”
– Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, federal Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
This intake will help agri-food producers make food safe and secure, escalate the health and wellbeing of livestock, and bring top-of-industry products and services to market quickly.
“Our government is investing in these projects to help farmers and other businesses adopt innovative solutions that help increase their productivity in the agri-food sector. When we invest in the agri-food sector, we’re supporting the industry in creating good jobs and economic growth, which strengthens Ontario’s economy.”
– Honourable Lisa Thompson, provincial Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
The Canadian Agricultural Partnership (CAP) began in 2018 and has strengthened and grown the agriculture sector for producers by providing programs and services to help agricultural businesses in Canada grow with variants of funding available through both federal and provincial sources. Moreover, CAP is a five-year initiative committed to an investment of $3 billion in the agri-food and agri-products sectors.
Applicants may receive between 25% to 50% of funding from the CAP Ontario Producer Stream depending on the project focus. Some projects may receive up to $100,000 in grant funding support. Learn more about funding opportunities for CAP Ontario producer applicants.
The CAP Ontario Producers Stream is a highly sought-after program for agriculture producers because the eligibility criteria for this program are quite general. Eligible applicants for the CAP Ontario Producers Stream will fulfill the following criteria:
- File business and/or farm income loss taxes in Ontario;
- Have a valid Farm Business Registration Number (FBRN), unless exempted; and
- Have a Valid Premises Identification (PID) Number.
To see more eligibility criteria, visit the CAP Ontario program page. If your business is eligible for this program, consider visiting this comprehensive list of funding opportunities for agriculture businesses.
CAP Ontario Producers Stream applicant projects must fit in an identifiable project category. Projects generally fall under at least one of four broad areas:
- Business planning and improvements;
- Equipment improvements;
- Safety and traceability improvements; and
- Farm improvements.
Please note that applicants can have up to two active projects if they are both submitted through separate applications. This list offers popular projects for the CAP Ontario Producers Stream and their corresponding funding allotments for approved applicants:
- Enhanced Biosecurity for African Swine Fever Preparedness Initiative: 50% of eligible expenses to a maximum of $40,000.
- Please Note: this project has an application deadline of December 3, 2021.
- Traceability System Improvements (Animal Health): 50% to a maximum of $60,000;
- Food Safety and Traceability System Improvements: 50% to a maximum of $60,000;
- Preventing Introduction and Spread of Pests Through Isolation, Sanitation, and Controlling Workflow: 35% to a maximum of $50,000;
- Preventing Access by Wildlife, Pests, and Rodents: 25% to a maximum of $50,000;
- Selling to Export Markets: 35% to a maximum of $50,000;
- Market Products in Canada: 35% to a maximum of $45,000;
- Technology and Equipment to Improve Labour Productivity: 35% up to a maximum of $100,000; and
- Other Businesses – Preventing Introduction and Spread of Pests Through Isolation, Sanitation, and, Controlling Workflow: 35% to a maximum of $50,000
To learn more about individual projects and their eligibility, you can refer to the CAP Ontario producer-guided search.
CAP Ontario Producers Stream applicants may apply for the program beginning on November 15, 2021. The next intake deadline is December 6, 2021. Applications will take about three months to be approved after the submission date.
Please Note: The application deadline for the Enhanced Biosecurity for African Swine Fever Preparedness Initiative will be December 3, 2021.
The CAP Ontario Producers Stream allows for deposits prior to approval. However, businesses cannot receive or fully pay for the equipment until they have been approved.
Get Started with Government Funding
The Canadian Agricultural Partnership Ontario Producers Stream is a valuable opportunity for Ontario organizations in the sector. However, there are many more funding programs available for agriculture. If you are looking for more than simply agriculture programs, visit this full-scope government funding program directory.
Businesses can also visit this comprehensive government funding resource page which provides a variety of useful resources to get you started. To read more about programs, strategies, and success stories, visit the MentorWorks news channel for everything government funding.