Company: Finning Canada
Position: Transportation Manager, Canada
Location: Edmonton, AB
Description: Reporting to Director of Logistics, the Transportation Manager is responsible and accountable to plan, organize, direct, manage and evaluate the operations and budget of the Canadian parts and equipment transportation network. The manager will have operational and financial responsibility over all Canadian transportation activities including freight expense.
The manager acts as the transportation reference point for Finning staff and external transportation providers pertaining to all parts and equipment transportation within Canada.
- Direct and manage the operations of all parts and equipment transportation services within Canada. Ensure optimal transportation effectiveness in the Canadian parts and equipment distribution network throughout the various Finning distribution channels. Identify and implement process improvements to maximize efficiency and customer satisfaction.
- Manage rates, competition in lanes, safety and compliance and fair division of labor for carriers and traffic coordinators. Publish rates and assist quoting with spot quotes
- Ensure daily equipment receiving is completed and assist in inventory error corrections
- Develop and manage carrier relationships for all Canadian parts and equipment transportation carriers including negotiating all related contracts and agreements. Monitor carrier KPI performance to ensure they meet our contractual agreements, including on time and financial performance.
- Responsible for the day to day leadership of staff, including recruitment and selection, orientation, coaching, mentoring, performance feedback and supporting growth and development opportunities for the department
- Ensure the operations of Parts and Equipment Transportation, routing, claims, financial accountability and budgets are managed and administered.
- Ensure all freight payments are accurate and per carrier agreements
- Negotiating rates and establishment of new supplier relations. Ensure accurate accounting and timely execution of changes to the network.
- Maintain strong strategic relationships with branches, transportation companies and Caterpillar, third party logistics provider (Tracker).
- Provide accurate and timely solutions and recommendations to the team and senior management.
- Responsible for the effective human resources management of staff and to foster an effective work environment which successfully contributes the achievement of the business goals and objectives for Finning (Canada) and the work unit.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Post-Secondary education in a related field or equivalent managerial experience
- Professional Transportation Designation (CITT, CITP, CIFFA)
- Minimum 10 years extensive and varied experience in a progressive customer focused operations environment doing parts or transportation/supply chain roles
- Three to Five years supervisory experience in related environment, transportation, logistics, supply chain, procurement
- Sound knowledge of accounting and finance principles, procedures and policies
- Knowledge of Transportation Law
- Expertise and sound knowledge of transportation , logistics and supply chain management, transportation legislation, National Safety Code and Transportation Law
- High level of financial acumen, knowledge of generally accepted accounting processes and terminology and ability to interpret financial statements and other commercial reporting tools
- Strong computer aptitude in MS Office applications, Transportation Management Systems, Warehouse Management Systems
- Expertise related to logistics and transportation configuration within the ERP System (Lawson M3)
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to be proactive, lead change, work well under pressure
- Excellent people skills and ability to communicate with various levels (Groups) within the organization
- Aptitude to understand and apply/work with technology
- Ability to develop and deploy effective processes
- Demonstrates drive, determination and ability to motivate and lead
About Finning Canada:
Finning Canada is a division of Finning International Inc., the world’s largest Caterpillar equipment dealer. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we sell, rent, and provide customer support services for Caterpillar equipment and engines to a diverse range of industrial markets in British Columbia, Yukon, Alberta, the Northwest Territories and a portion on Nunavut.
Our customers hold us to a higher standard than our competitors because of our solid reputation that began in 1933 with the motto “we service what we sell”, and it still rings true today. We are committed to building honest, constructive relationships with customers, suppliers and colleagues.
Fast facts about us:
- Our vision is to be Caterpillar’s best global business partner, providing unrivalled services that earn customer loyalty
- Safety is a core value that influences every aspect of our business. This commitment has positioned us as a leader in safety excellence in the heavy equipment industry
- We’ve built a world-class network of product support services with 57 branch locations supported by nearly 500 well-equipped field service trucks, and over 5,500 employees across our dealership territory. Together we produce more than three million service hours every year
- We’ve strategically divided our business into three categories: operations (parts and service), sales, and corporate support (accounting and human resources etc.)
- In 2013 we celebrated 80 years of success, thanks to a strong tradition of customer service excellence