Company: APL Logistics
Position: Specialist, Trade Compliance
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Description: The Trade Compliance Specialist supports the strategic analysis, development and communication on regulatory matters to internal and external customers on global basis.
They are also involved in the development of compliance material, regulatory fact sheets, and reporting for sales and customers education.
They support the compliance manager in resolving non-compliant gaps and trends, while assisting in developing new programs such as internal audits, training and regulatory metrics, best practice solutions and potential product.
The position will interface with US Customs/CBP and other regulatory agencies externally, service providers, and multiple functions internally (Operations, Sales, and Customer Support) and across all APLL lines of business (Consolidation, Air, Freight Forwarding, NVOCC, Verticals, Deconsolidation ) assist to drive initiatives and lead resources ensuring APLL and processes, services and facilities, are compliant with various government regulations and initiatives.
The position will require a subject matter expert (SME) in trade regulatory compliance policies, including, yet not limited to Ocean, Air and the Federal Maritime Commission, with emphasis on supporting air compliance and global security filings such as AMS, ISF, ACI, and AFR, Manifest.
Provide problem resolution and identify compliance gaps impacting internal and external customers while supporting development of process/knowledge improvement to mitigate/prevent potential penalties.
Support development of compliance programs and strategic solutions for a global regulatory product structure and opportunities, including internal audits in key areas of risks to APL Logistics.
Maintain expertise in regulatory matters as it pertains to APLL International Logistics Services cargo movement, and associated services, including collaboration within various trade group networks and committees.
Support continued development of Security Filing support group in Costa Rica as new regulatory requirements are implemented Globally.
Enhance existing “compliance library” to provide comprehensive knowledge of regulatory requirements to internal stakeholders within the various lines of business and conduct internal training.
Ensure full compliance with TSA Air Regulatory Program.
Support comprehensive internal regulatory compliance auditing program, supporting regulations, and preventing potential risks & penalties.
Pro-actively identify trends, compliance gaps and customer needs (internal and external), and propose solutions.
Support and direct APL Logistics global security filing metrics & support teams globally to retain high percentage of compliance and zero penalties
Support further development of Export Compliance Program.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 2 years of relevant transportation experience including air, with 1 year in regulatory compliance environment
- Excellent analytical problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, demanding and cross functional environment
- Able to work independently
- Working knowledge of EDI basics
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Excellent decision making, problem solving and strong analytical skills
- Superior interpersonal communication skills, articulate and appropriate verbal; ability to produce and present effectively to internal and external customers
- Strong computer literacy required in various applications; PowerPoint, Excel Word and Visio
- Knowledge of Regulatory and Trade Compliance rules within the Transportation Industry. Shipping Act, FMC, AES, US Customs, Import/Export, ISF, IAC, IATA
- Ability to research, interpret and apply complex government regulations for internal understanding
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- APLL operation/systems (ACS123, SCS) preferred
- Spanish proficiency preferred
- Teamwork – showing a commitment to teamwork and collaboration
- Respect – extending dignity and respect to all people
- Integrity – fostering trust and a positive work environment
- Innovation – bringing creativity to the workplace
- Customer Focus – achieving Company, department, and personal goals through a strong customer focus