Company: Edward Marc
Position: Logistics Specialist
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Edward Marc (www.edwardmarc.com) is a Pittsburgh-based, rapidly expanding manufacturer, wholesaler, and retailer of chocolate and caramel products. A family business since 1914, the company was rebranded in 2007 when the fourth-generation of chocolatier siblings assumed management.
Under their leadership, the company has launched national and global brands including Edward Marc Chocolatier, The Milk Shake Factory, and Snappers. The management team values sustainable innovation, aggressive sales growth, and maintaining the company’s foundation as a family-owned enterprise.
As a key member of the operations team, the Logistics Specialist will assume a critical role in creating optimal logistical efficiency throughout the company’s supply chain.
The Logistics Specialist will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing, and tracking all logistics-related activities of the company.
This will encompass:
- Scheduling all modes of transportation across multiple production facilities;
- Minimizing the cost of supply by helping to reduce losses due to obsolescence, aged inventory, and transportation costs involved in delivering packaging and raw materials;
- Maintaining inventories at optimal levels that balance the use of working capital against the risk of disruption to production; and
- Communicating effectively between production facilities, vendors, and cross-functional teams.
Ideal candidates will have superior analytical, writing, communication, organizational, and modeling skills.
- Manage the daily dispatch of deliveries for the entire Edward Marc supply chain
- Own the entire route dispatching process including planning routes, booking in deliveries, allocating and recording resources, and ensuring that all partners in the supply chain are working effectively and efficiently to ensure smooth operations
- Ensure carrier compliance with company policies and procedures for product transit or deliver (e.g., SQF, ISO)
- Review customer requirements through routing guides to minimize penalties assessed for incorrect documentation or process
- Oversee the parcel process and review carrier performance to ensure proper billing and service
- Analyze freight spend at an SKU level to reduce the effect on product margin
- Take ownership of the sample process through fulfillment and coordinate with appropriate parties to meet mandatory deadlines
- Consolidate orders to minimize LTL shipments from suppliers and between sites
- Assist with the disposition of damaged materials and the replacement of rejected shipments
- Understand and communicate to internal and external parties the operation process, capacity, and delivery constraints of suppliers and sites
- Assigning and supervising driver personnel performing route dispatch
- Maintain and improve ethically relationships with supply chain stakeholders
- Control and maintain delivery efficiency goals while meeting or exceeding customer service level expectations
- Monitor product import or export processes to ensure compliance with regulatory or legal requirements
- Drive continuous team improvements on process, collaboration, and other areas
- Review global, national, or regional transportation or logistics reports for ways to improve efficiency or to minimize the environmental impact of logistics activities
- Work Safety – Ensures that all tasks and functions of position are performed in a safe manner at all times and that all procedures and requirements are properly followed to accomplish assigned tasks
- Food Safety/Quality – Responsible for food safety and quality as well as reporting food safety and quality problems to personnel with authority to initiate action
- Other duties as assigned
Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of supply chain experience, preferably in an manufacturing setting
- Experience in highway transportation routing preferred
- BS degree in Procurement, Logistics/Materials Management or Finance strongly preferred
- Strong grasp of applied mathematical skills
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a fast paced environment with changing priorities, while maintaining a constant commitment to the highest level of quality
- Passion for organization and structured project management
- Capacity to operate independently and towards a goal
- Experience managing simultaneously multiple projects from inception to completion a must
- Outstanding attention to detail and time management
- Ability to focus and refocus in an environment with constant distractions
- Knowledge of ERP systems and mastery of Excel modeling
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to lift and/or handle packaged goods and materials up to and including 25lbs