Company: Sanmina Corporation
Position: Import/Export Customs & Trade Compliance
Location: Kanata, Ontario
Description: This position reports to the Regional Operations Director (NALA, EMEA, APAC), and is responsible for the management of international trade compliance activities with primary focus on North America and Latin America. This is a highly visible role which will work across the company with Supply Chain, Engineering, Finance, Legal, and other teams to ensure compliance.
- Subject matter expert regarding international trade compliance for the company’s division that specializes in repair and order fulfillment services across the electronics industry as a contract, 3rd party agent
- Provide structure, coordination, management, guidance of regional trade operations and compliance
- Highly motivated and capable of managing complex projects with structured project goals, timelines and reporting
- Collaborate with other Trade Compliance professionals throughout the company, our customers, and our suppliers
- Development of a globally harmonized program
- Develop harmonized global policies and procedures to ensure consistent, compliant execution
- Collaborate with regional counterparts to develop a global training program
- Establish global/regional metrics to streamline and track functional processes.
- Build and execute internal communications plans to increase awareness of in-region policies
- Ensure company is complying with relevant laws and regulations
- Proactively identify compliance issues and risks
- Provide education and improvement plans where needed
- Perform periodic compliance self assessment audits and corrective action reports
- Review, monitor, and drive continuous improvement of trade compliance performance across third party logistics service providers
- Monitor changes in government trade regulations and legislation and ensure processes and procedures are current and compliant
- Ensure that all procedures are documented and validated
- Develop, review and update policies and procedures; conduct training and periodic education sessions for inter-related departments
- Establish documentation systems required for trade compliance. Drive audit compliance readiness. Assume ownership of support and responses to government agency audits
- Design and validate the business model for new programs; design and set up processes and procedures during implementation
- Support classification of hardware / technical data per Export Control Reform and Harmonized Tariff Schedule.
- Manage FTZ compliance. Provide Foreign-Trade Zone subject matter expertise and project leadership for site import/export matters relating to FTZ operations
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; able to articulate and effectively communicate trade compliance information to various levels of non-technical audiences
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work with and through global, cross-functional teams including customer, suppliers, and service providers
- Possess a high level of analysis, evaluation and problem solving skills as well as the ability to draw conclusions and decisions based on regulatory reasoning
- Project management skills with a strong ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
Subject Matter Expertise
- Knowledge and experience in ECCN classification, VAT, and management of FTZ’s
- Expertise and experience with U.S. export control regulations (CJ, ECCN, CCL,) laws and directives. Working knowledge other in-region countries.
- Experience with U.S. Customs Regulations, U.S. Export Regulations (EAR) and Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR).
- Experience with NAFTA and Maquiladora programs
Experience / Education / Business Skills
- 10+ years experience in similar position
- Bachelors degree preferred in International Business or International Logistics
- U.S. Customs Brokers license preferred
- Experience with the electronics industry, as well as repair and reverse logistics is beneficial
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Business Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc)