Company: Danfoss LLC
Position: Import Specialist
Location: Baltimore, MD
Description: Danfoss LLC, a global market leader in Refrigeration & Air Conditioning, Heating & Water, and Motion Controls, has an opening for an Import Specialist to assist the company in achieving its cost and service goals.
The Import Specialist will assist the Import/Export Compliance Manager to manage all of the aspects of import transactions for both raw materials and finished product.
This position promotes compliance with Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and other governmental agency regulations, and also provides expertise on the most expeditious and cost-effective methods of importing materials and product into the United States and Canada.
The Import Specialist will ensure compliance by adhering to the Danfoss LLC Compliance Control Program, performing product compliance reviews, monitoring Customs broker compliance, internal audits, education of internal team members and associated responsibilities.
- Represents the company to Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
- Responds to CBP requests for information regarding import transactions.
- Maintains formal, company-wide import policies, procedures, and controls in order to ensure compliance with U.S. import regulations.
- Educates various departments on Customs compliance through presentations, procedures, memos, and conversations and keeps abreast of new international free trade agreements benefiting the organization
- Manages NAFTA compliance program to ensure compliance with NAFTA regulations.
- Maintains relationships with Customs brokers.
- Performs a thorough and documented compliance review of each product to ensure compliance with CBP/OGA requirements.
- Maintains and updates detailed product information in the product library.
- Performs internal audit of Customs entries, documents findings and issues a monthly Customs broker CBP/OGA compliance report.
- Monitors Customs broker compliance with standard operating procedures and issues detailed quarterly performance report.
- Intercedes with Customs broker and CBP/OGA as necessary on a daily basis to ensure compliance and expedite entry release.
- Maintains a current, comprehensive knowledge of the U.S. Departments of Commerce and State regulations as well as the policies and practices of these and other government agencies involved in export regulation.
- Develops and implements appropriate policies and procedures to enhance Danfoss’ export compliance program and to implement new regulatory requirements.
- Follows all Danfoss LLC policies and procedures.
- Other projects and/or duties, as assigned, or as business needs require.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of four (4) years’ experience working with CBP and other relevant government agencies preferred; Associates degree with a minimum of eight (8) years’ experience working with CBP and other relevant government agencies required.
- Customs Broker License, Certified Customs Specialist, and/or no less than five (5) years direct experience in the Foreign Trade Compliance Department of an Importer is required.
- Must have four (4) to eight (8) years of experience at a Customs brokerage or medium to large importer, or combination of the above, with emphasis on Customs compliance.
- Must have excellent communication skills (verbal and written). Must be able to communicate professionally and effectively with many levels of the corporation as well as individuals outside the corporation at various levels.
- Proven ability to develop strong business relationships both internally and externally.
- Superior analytical, organizational, leadership, and diplomatic skills.
- Must be able to think critically, troubleshoot, and problem-solve.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with ACE and ACE reports.
- SAP experience desired.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be able to analyze and interpret complex regulations and tariff classifications.
- Must be adept at multi-tasking.
- 10-15% estimated annual travel.