Company: The World Bank
Position: Research Analyst
Location: Washington, DC
The Office of the Chief Economist for the Latin America and Caribbean Region of the World Bank (LCRCE) is seeking to hire three research assistant with strong analytical and research skills. Depending on personal initiative, successful candidates will have opportunities to develop their own research program as well as to participate in policy-oriented work conducted by the office. The position is for one year, non-renewable. However, candidates are not precluded from applying to other positions outside LCRCE.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 1 year term appointment.
Selected candidates will provide support to the teams working on LCRCE’s Regional Studies Program.
- Review of academic literature on particular topics and on their respective empirical developments as applied to developing countries, particularly in Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Identification, compilation, and organization of databases suitable for the study of relevant topics;
- Econometric and statistical analyses;
- Participation in academic workshops.
- Support for the preparation of Concept Notes and drafts of the reports
- Formatting and editing of graphs and text of the report
- A Masters’ level degree in Economics (with strong quantitative background), Finance, Mathematics, or Statistics obtained no earlier than 2014 preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong skills in statistical and econometric programs such as Stata, Matlab, or SAS. Experience with Stata is required.
- Strong research and analytical skills with demonstrated ability to deliver high caliber analytical work will be a distinct advantage.
- The candidate must have direct experience in at least one of the following areas: trade, labor, energy, education, and Urban Economics.
- At least 2 years of experience in applied research at a recognized university or research center.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English is required and a good command of written and oral communication in Spanish is desirable.
- Initiative in research and the ability and desire to collaborate in research teams.
- Intention to pursue further graduate education.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills – In-depth understanding and experience of impact evaluation as an analytical and policymaking tool;
- Evaluation Approaches and Methods – Understands and applies the approaches, methods, and tools of development evaluation. Assists in developing, the strongest feasible design to answer the evaluation questions and respond to the evaluation’s purpose;
- Data Collection and Management – Ensures data relevance and quality through appropriate selection of data sources and sound collection and management. Develops appropriate strategies for dealing with data quality issues. Effectively uses software and systems in support of work;
- Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena – Understands policy making process; distills operationally relevant recommendations/lessons for clients;
- Policy Dialogue Skills – Identifies and assesses policy issues and plays an active role in the dialogue with the government and/or other stakeholders;
- Deliver Results for Clients – Proactively addresses clients’ stated and unstated needs;
- Strong interpersonal skills – Behavioral competencies that facilitate dialogue with country partners and country teams, including listening skills, training and capacity development skills, and ability to adapt advice to the local institutional realities;
- Commitment to teamwork, knowledge-sharing, and ability to influence across organizational boundaries. Creates a team climate of practical and innovative action, facilitating collaboration between stakeholders.
- Lead and innovate – Brings new and different insights.
- Deliver Results for Clients – Contributes to delivery of results for clients on complex issues.
- Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Collaborates within team and across boundaries.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Actively contributes to and readily applies WBG’s body of knowledge for internal and/or external client solutions.
- Make Smart Decisions – Leverages available data and makes timely decisions.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.