Organization: Manulife Securities
Position: Compliance Officer
Location: Oakville, ON
Description: Manulife Securities operates both IIROC and MFDA member dealers.
The Compliance Officer’s (CO) role is to conduct daily Tier 2 dealer trade and account supervision in compliance with regulatory requirements for MFDA and IIROC member dealers, and, in particular, to ensure that:
The dealer and its employees/agents comply with applicable securities regulatory requirements and dealer policies and procedures;
The risk of reputational damage, regulatory sanction and discipline, client complaints and civil litigation is minimized;
Actual and potential compliance violations and risk situations are pro-actively identified, investigated and resolved or escalated in an appropriate and timely manner; and;
The dealer’s employees /agents receive high quality, accurate and timely compliance direction, advice, support and service and employees /agents are educated on their compliance responsibilities and requirements.
The CO is responsible for carrying out head office compliance activities for assigned regional groups in accordance with regulatory requirements (MFDA and IIROC).
- Responsible for conducting daily Tier 2 trade review and account supervision.
- Conduct timely queries of trading activity and working toward efficient resolution of matters in the best interest of the client.
- Identify and escalate any areas of non-compliance.
- Problem-solve and deal with compliance issues as identified including appropriate resolution and/or appropriate escalation to supervisor.
- Provide backup to the compliance team as required.
- Take on duties and work on projects that may be assigned from time to time.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Required proficiency courses: Canadian Securities Course, CSI Conducts and Practices Handbook, CSI Branch Manager’s Course, Effective Management Seminar
- Preferred proficiency Courses include: CSI Wealth Management Essentials, CSI ETF Course, Derivatives Fundamentals Course, Options Licensing Course, and, Options Supervisor Course.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a dealer salesperson, trading partner, director, officer or compliance officer.
- Post-secondary education is preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Client focus and customer service skills with the ability to build positive relationships.
- Commitment to achieving high levels of service excellence and ability to work independently or within a team and with direction.
- Excellent communications skills (verbal and written-report writing)
- Analytical and problem solving skills being able to influence decisions or change through negotiation with a focus on prevention of future re-occurrence.
- Knowledge IIROC and MFDA regulations.
- Organizational/prioritization skills to be able to work in a multitasking environment.
- Strong Attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly understand business processes and their risk implications, analyze complex situations, reach appropriate conclusions and make practical recommendations.
- Fully proficient knowledge of our business products, policies, procedures, systems and concepts.
- Negotiation/conflict resolution skills.
- Proven relationship skills with an ability to deal effectively with staff at all levels.
- Creative/innovative thinking within the regulatory requirements, in the provision of solutions for the business and our clients.
- Presentation skills
- Ability to learn dealer applications and work in MS application environment.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group providing forward-thinking solutions to help people with their big financial decisions. We operate as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife elsewhere.
We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2014, we had 28,000 employees, 58,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving 20 million customers.
At the end of September 2015, we had $888 billion (US$663 billion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made more than $23 billion in benefits, interest and other payments to our customers.
Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 100 years. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong. Follow Manulife on Twitter @ManulifeNews or visit www.manulife.com or www.johnhancock.com .
Manulife is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.