A Career at HARMAN
As a technology leader that is rapidly on the move, HARMAN is filled with people who are focused on making life better. Innovation, inclusivity and teamwork are a part of our DNA. When you add that to the challenges we take on and solve together, you’ll discover that at HARMAN you can grow, make a difference and be proud of the work you do every day.
About the Role
As the Director of Global Trade Operations, you are responsible for all customs-related operations and compliance with U.S. import/export laws and other trade/customs laws, rules, and regulations in other geographic locations where HARMAN operates.
You will also provide strategic advice on various international trade matters, orchestrate creation, maintenance and training of global trade operations compliance policies and procedures and support our growth from a global export/import compliance perspective.
You will serve as a subject matter expert for global trade operations for our brands, and due to the ever-evolving international trade landscape, will play a key role in developing a best-in-class international trade and customs compliance program.
You will report to the VP Regulatory Compliance & Sustainability and will be assigned to one of our U.S. locations but will interface with all functions impacted by our global trade operations. You will initially directly manage a team of 3-4 global trade operations employees and recruit, retain, and develop additional staff. You may indirectly manage other trade related staff with global trade responsibilities.
What You Will Do
- Develop and manage a world class global trade operations organization.
- Work with Global Trade Compliance team and other functions to develop an annual strategic plan consistent with the business objectives.
- Identify and drive on-going cost management and cost reduction activities.
- Develop robust customs management processes.
- Ensure trade operations compliance expertise provided internal and external business partners and employees at all levels and locations.
- Support training of employees on supply chain operations compliance changes/updates.
- Track and monitor trade operations corrective actions that impact global trade compliance.
- Confirm or determine and maintain appropriate origin declarations/marking and trade/preference program qualifications (e.g., USMCA, LTSD) of imported product, components, and parts.
- Lead global implementation of any operational process changes needed to ensure that the business is fully compliant.
- Drive internal cross functional process improvements required to maintain status in qualified global programs.
- Analyze and monitor trade operations processes, drive continuous development cycle and standardization.
- Review and develop enhancements to existing trade operations program, including development of appropriate metrics and KPIs.
- Field internal trade operations questions from employees, external partners, and/or customs agencies.
- Develop, maintain and update documented internal controls and desk operating procedures over trade operations matters.
- Oversee freight forwarder and other vendor compliance with export/import rules.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to facilitate trade in a cost-effective and compliant manner.
- Support the Internal Audit function by identifying areas of potential risk for testing.
- Ensure trade operations compliance with applicable export/import regulations for the organization (classification, valuation, origin declaration, monitoring, documentation, etc.)
- Identify and drive cost management and duty optimization activities.
- Interpret and communicate export/import regulatory expectations and changes relative to global trade operations compliance.
- Monitor customs broker activity for import and export.
- Work with Director, Global Trade Compliance to monitor regulatory and legislative trade changes while maintaining/updating policies and procedures.
- Build partnerships with third-party customs brokerage firms, government agencies, trade, and customs compliance service providers.
What You Need
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required in a related field e.g., international business, logistics, supply chain, compliance, or evidence of exceptional ability and/or experience.
- 10+ years of international trade experience, focusing primarily on customs and trade operations compliance.
- 7+ years of experience leading a team or as a project / program manager.
- U.S. Customs Broker License.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of global trade operations practices and procedures (e.g., US Customs, IMMEX, FTA, FTZ, Maquiladora, CTPAT, AEO).
- Excellent knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements in relation to traded goods.
- Key performance indicator development and management.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver practical solutions to solve complex customs issues.
- Detail oriented and highly organized with ability to multi-task several projects at once, including a demonstrated ability to drive decision-making in a fast-paced environment with on-demand requests.
- Demonstrate significant prioritization abilities, a sense of urgency and responsiveness to regulatory and customs broker requests and requests from business units.
- Ability to drive complex, cross functional projects including setting scope, reaching consensus, executing tasks, and presenting results.
- Strong experience with MS Office Applications, including knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience with implementing (or at a minimum utilizing) databases and enterprise resource planning (“ERP”) global trade automation solutions.
- Ability to work in a global matrixed organization and communication effective verbal and written communication to all levels of internal and external business partners.
What is Nice to Have
- Logistics and supply chain management experience.
What Makes You Eligible
- Ability to travel as necessary; minimally 25% domestic and international travel may be required.
- This role is eligible to work remotely full-time with occasional trips into a U.S. HARMAN office location as necessary (this could be on 24-hour notice).
- Successfully complete a background investigation and drug screen as a condition of employment.
What We Offer
- Flexible work environment, allowing for full-time remote work in the U.S. for positions that can be performed outside a HARMAN or customer location.
- Access to employee discounts on world-class Harman and Samsung products (JBL, HARMAN Kardon, AKG, etc.).
- Extensive training opportunities exist through our own HARMAN University.
- Competitive wellness benefits.
- Tuition Reimbursement.
- Access to HARMAN Campus Fitness Center and Cafeteria (at certain U.S. HARMAN locations).
- An inclusive and diverse work environment that fosters and encourages professional and personal development.
HARMAN is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or Protected Veterans status. HARMAN offers a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. (www.harman.com)
To apply for this job please visit harman.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.