Manulife and John Hancock Careers
Position: Senior Manager, Strategy and Operations – Risk Management
Company: Manulife and John Hancock Careers
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Are you looking for a supportive, collaborative workplace with great teams and inspiring leaders? You’ve come to the right place. We’re looking for ambitious people who share our values and want to make every day better for people around the world. If this sounds like you, and the career below sounds exciting, we’d like to hear from you.
Working Arrangement: Hybrid
The Senior Manager, Strategy and Governance – Global IRM is a broadly scoped and highly leveraged role, requiring leadership, strategic and risk assurance mindset combined with strong communication, collaboration, organization, and execution skills.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Strategy and Planning, the incumbent will be responsible for execution oversight, planning, strategizing operating models, advocating continuous improvement, communication strategy, stakeholder management, vendor management, creating executive communication, providing advisory to the execution resources, and ensuring an overall health across three functional mandates within IRM.
In addition, this role will be responsible to:
- Be part of an active management team who manages budget and financials, develop digital and high impact strategies, set goals and targets, report to senior management, and strive to inspire and foster the risk professionals in our teams.
- Developing roadmaps, key milestones and enterprise/segment level governance and project management expertise.
- Collect, produce, gather, and report metrics and status as assigned on behalf of IRM. This includes on-going KRI/KPI reporting, operational metrics, executive briefings, and reports. Track and provide regular reporting and metrics for the divisional components of global information risk initiatives.
- Support the Senior Director and Director in all strategic mandates such as running internal update meetings, standards and process improvements, tools creation and sourcing, employee engagements, townhall meetings, operating model design and enhancements, etc., on time, on budget and within the desired scope.
- Own and manage key processes with the team for reporting, invoice management, HR and finance interactions.
- Collaborate with other IRM teams and professionals including the Chief Information Risk Officer, the DIROs, the metrics team within the Global Technology Risk Management team, and peer S&P leads across Manulife globally.
- Contribute and shape divisional and global IRM projects and initiatives. Ensure division-specific requirements and needs are accommodated whenever possible and practical in initiatives, projects and services.
- Manage day to day initiatives tasks, drive execution, formulate and communicate RAIDs, enable process improvements, standardization, and automation in line with good practice and improved efficiency.
- Provide oversight and training to staff as required and develop best PMO practices.
- Participate in workshop and planning sessions; enabling long-term strategies that will mature information risk management in a sense to help practices keep pace with both internal drivers (company strategy and goals) and external drivers (technology, regulations, threats, and vulnerabilities).
- Advocate for a strong information risk culture.
- Stay abreast with evolving information and technology risks, new regulations, laws and requirements for information risk, information security, cybersecurity, information protection and privacy across jurisdictions and overseeing company compliance with as required.
- Work with information risk teams globally to ensure compliance with Global Information Risk Management processes, procedures, policies, standards, templates, and guidelines.
- Work with the management to ensure their informed consent and understanding of risk treatments and acceptances through proper governance reporting and escalation process.
- Maintain and foster enduring relationships with internal customers and peers,
- Work with Internal Audit Services and outside consultants to perform independent assessments and perform sample controls testing.
Job Requirements (Experience/Knowledge/Skills):
- Minimum 8 years of progressive leadership in the areas/combination of Risk Advisory, Program Management, Project Management, Execution Oversight, Risk Management, Governance, Assurance and Control Testing, Information Security, Business Resiliency, and Technology Risk.
- Having MBA is a preferred asset but not a job requirement
- Proven experience in managing change and implementing multiple parallel projects
- Previous audit or 2nd line oversight and assurance experience.
- Previous risk advisory consulting experience is preferred.
- Strong understanding of related best practices and relevant industry framework.
- Sound knowledge of best practices of various aspects of information risk management and prior experience as a leader in Information Risk.
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain highly technical information for non-technologists including executives.
- Strong competencies in collaboration, problem solving and influencing key risk decisions
- Knowledge of the regulatory environments in the U.S. and Canada
- University degree (Computer Science or related discipline preferred)
- Recognized professional designations in Change Management, Project Management, Information Security, Audit and Business Continuity (e.g., CMC, PMP, CISSP, CISA, CRISC, etc.)
- Strong communication, consulting, and influencing skills
- Problem-solving, analytical, innovative, and strategic thinker
- Strong stakeholder management and alignment skills
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills to all levels and audiences
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships
- Strong team player (collaborative)
- Strong time management and organizational skills to manage multiple tasks and changing priorities
Key Leadership Behaviors:
- Strategic and innovative problem solving
- Presentation skills
Every career at Manulife/John Hancock provides the opportunity to learn new skills and move your career forward. Ready to make an impact somewhere? What are you waiting for? Apply today.
About John Hancock and Manulife
John Hancock is a unit of Manulife Financial Corporation, a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. We operate primarily as John Hancock in the United States, and Manulife globally, including Canada, Asia and Europe. We provide financial advice, insurance and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. Assets under management and administration by Manulife and its subsidiaries were CAD$1.3 trillion (US$1.1 trillion) as of June 30, 2021. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as MFC on the TSX, NYSE, and PSE, and under 945 on the SEHK. Manulife can be found at manulife.com.
One of the largest life insurers in the United States, John Hancock supports more than 10 million Americans with a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, and education savings plans. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit manulife.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.