Samuel, Son and Co.
Company: Samuel, Son and Co.
Position: Trade Compliance Manager
Location: Hamilton, ON
Due to our continued success, we are seeking a qualified Trade Compliance Manager to join our team in Burlington, ON.
If you think you have what it takes to become part of our team, contact us today.
Here are some of what we have to offer:
- Competitive compensation
- Paid vacation and an annual bonus
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Pension plan with company match
- Opportunity for stability and career growth
This position will lead Samuel’s Canadian trade compliance team and design and deploy help to drive our trade compliance strategy globally. Based in Hamilton, Ontario and reporting to the Director of Compliance, the Trade Compliance Manager will have responsibility for Samuel’s compliance with both CA and US import/export regulations, improvement of operational efficiency of the trade compliance team, and increasing value to the business in all trade compliance areas.
Program Development and Implementation
- Develop and implement Samuel’s trade compliance system that (i) proactively identifies and assesses trade compliance risks and requirements (ii) has appropriate controls and procedures to address such risks, including supporting CTPAT programs
- Utilizing Samuel ERIM, ACE Data and/or Canadian Government Customs data, implement corrective actions and execute enterprise-wide plan to achieve uniformity related to imports and exports across all business units, including, but not limited to: HS classifications, Valuation, Recordkeeping, Country of Origin, and Preferential Trade Agreements.
- Continuous oversight and monitoring of ERP Implementation Project, to ensure all aspects of trade related requirements are being developed, tested, and proven within ERP.
- Training Modules: create training presentations applicable to Samuel’s product lines and impact of import/export regulations on both our products and business practices
- Conduct Canadian-U.S. Risk Assessment, based on both visits to facilities and internal/external trade data, to create company profile on Samuel’s cross regional trade practices
- Achieve uniformity in Samuel’s compliance with Customs laws and regulations, FTAs, classification, valuation, marketing, customs audits, compliance and opportunity reviews, first sale disclosures, etc.
- Create a standardized trade compliance approach throughout Samuel and drive change management on Canada trade compliance through education and training
- Analysis of Samuel product groups specific to import/export compliance
- Provide leadership and guidance to Customs Department and other Samuel personnel providing customs services.
- Lead center of excellence in providing prompt, business-minded solutions to trade issues faced by the business and/or Samuel’s customers.
- Responsible for the quality of the Samuel’s trade compliance program. In this regard the role must deliver: (i) oversight and direction on controls and business unit standards, (ii) education, training and guidance, (iii) management of the business unit’s response to situations where requirements are contravened (either intentionally or inadvertently); and (iv) advice and counsel to business units, including with respect to regulatory developments and best practices.
- Analyze, monitor and communicate updates about important changes in customs legislation, international trade operations, new free trade agreements, and import & export programs that may or will impact the business.
- Stay abreast of CA and US anti dumping/ countervailing investigations, cases, duties and provide risk assessment
- Monitor changes to CA and US government regulations regarding import/export controls
- Support or lead import/export/duty management projects that focus on reducing risk, driving efficiencies or cost savings for Samuel.
- Requires active and ongoing relationship management with executives, senior business unit management and key stakeholders (purchasing, sales and operations).
- Maintain relationships with Customs’ contacts, other government resources, trade lawyers and 3rd party advisory service providers
- Free trade agreement program oversight
- Conduct and/or supervise trade compliance reviews; responsible for follow-up and resolution of issues identified from such processes.
- Work closely with Samuel’s senior leadership, sales, purchasing, operations and internal audit teams to develop, plan, implement and monitor Samuel’s trade compliance program
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 7 -10 years’ experience and in-depth knowledge of trade compliance and best practices for the industrial and manufacturing sector, particularly in the Canada.
- Expertise in Canada trade matters, including tariff interpretation, classifications, duties, fees, taxes, clearance and brokerage, import and export compliance, preferential trade programs, supply chain security programs, documentation, and reporting. Strong emphasis on Antidumping and Countervailing Duties in a highly regulated steel industry is required.
- Understanding of applicable regulatory risks with a view to preparing operational cost-benefit analyses as part of any major regulatory change initiatives.
- Experience developing and managing governance systems, developing and managing training initiatives across a diverse employee population.
- Experience in U.S. Customs reconciliation program, U.S. Goods Returned (9801), including solicitation of manufacturer’s affidavits., SLI’s, vendor management and qualification of FTA products, Valuation methods (intercompany transfer pricing protocols), TIBs, INCOTERMS, as well as, knowledge and management of U.S. and Canadian Customs Bonds.
- Awareness of logistics and supply-chain as it relates to trade between Canada, U.S. and Mexico preferred. Awareness of Buy America and Buy American Act (BA/BAA), as well as the Trade Agreements Act.
- Deployment of continuous improvement recommendations, including monitoring broker performance
- Ability to travel up to 30% while building an understanding of the business operations and building relationships with key stakeholders.
- Data analysis & Problem solving
- Leadership on strategic projects
To apply for this job please visit samuel.taleo.net.